Rose Muddle is an orphan who has lived in the workhouse for the first twelve miserable years of her life. When she suddenly finds out that she is wanted to work in a grand mansion, she can’t believe her ears. What sort of person would want a clumsy orphan to be a maid in their vast home?
After one week of working under the strict supervision of the butler, Mr Crank, she is requested to meet the mistress of the house. Mrs Templeforth has a top secret plan for her – one that includes danger, darkness and death. Finally, after years of not knowing who her family really was, Rose starts to unravel her mysterious past.
Mrs Templeforth, the current guardian of a valuable pendant and frail owner of 13 Sackville Road, decides that Rose should become a companion of Rui, the nephew of the Maharajah of Jaipur, and Rui’s monkey, Bahula, on their visit to Hove. Rose’s life has changed completely, she is now the heir to a grand estate and the extremely valuable Amber Pendant. Her life is the best it could possibly be – or so she thinks
Then things start to go wrong and Rose finds herself in the midst of an evil plot to open a gateway to destroy the world. The Brotherhood of the Black Sun are trying to let the evil Verrulf take over Earth. However, without the Amber Pendant and the Amber Cup they won’t be able to unleash the dark spirit of black magic upon Hove. Will Rose, Rui and Bahula be able to stop them in time…
This fast-paced, spellbinding and utterly magical story hooked me right from the start and I couldn’t put the book down until it was finished. I would rate this book a 4.5/5 because, although it was an immensely captivating book, not everybody likes a very dark and creepy story. I would recommend this book to anybody age 9 and above.
Amber Pendant Bookmark
This bookmark is perfect for making your books look even more interesting with its bright amber jewel and gold chain.
- 1 sheet of white A4 card
- 3 thin paintbrushes
- Gold paint
- Orange/Amber paint
- Red paint
- Black paint
- Cut out a bookmark shaped rectangle from your card.
2. With a pencil lightly draw an oval roughly in the centre.
3. Then, also lightly, try to draw a chain going both ways until the end of the rectangle.
4. After that draw a border around the oval to make it look like the amber pendant (use the front cover of the book to help you).
5. Now paint over the chain and pendant border with your gold paint.
6. Then paint the actual gem with orange and hints of red to make it look ever so real.
7. Put a dab of black paint in the centre so that everyone knows that it is Rose’s pendant.
8. Now outline the necklace in black pen to make the gold pop out even more.
9. Finally cut out the rough shape of your necklace.
10. Now you have an intriguing bookmark to add a touch of magic to your books…
If you cut the bookmark out just half a centimetre from the actual drawing, it makes it look so much better.